HeRO Graft Overview with Dr. Lawson and Gage, PA–C
Hear how Dr. Jeffrey H. Lawson and Shawn M. Gage, PA–C describe HeRO Graft and its benefits.
The HeRO Graft is a fully subcutaneous vascular access system that bypasses the central venous system to provide reliable, continuous blood flow directly from a target artery to the heart. HeRO Graft is classified by the FDA as a graft but differs from a conventional AV graft since it has no venous anastomosis.
HeRO Graft Candidates
- Catheter-dependent or approaching catheter-dependency
- Failing fistulas or grafts due to central venous stenosis
HeRO Graft Benefits
69% reduced infection rate compared with catheters1
Superior Dialysis Adequacy
1.7Kt/V, a 16% to 32% improvement compared with catheters1
High Patency Rates
Up to 87% cumulative patency at 2 years1,2
A 23% average savings per year compared with catheters3
HeRO Graft Components
Arterial Graft Component
The HeRO Graft Arterial Graft Component has a 6mm inner diameter (ID), 7.4mm outer diameter (OD), and is 53cm long, inclusive of the connector. It consists of an ePTFE hemodialysis graft with PTFE beading to provide kink resistance near the proprietary titanium connector. The titanium connector attaches the Arterial Graft Component to the Venous Outflow Component and has a 6mm to 5mm (ID). The Arterial Graft Component is cannulated using standard technique according to KDOQI guidelines.
- Beading (3-4cm) for kink resistance
- Orientation line on graft to guide placement during tunneling
- Titanium connector
Venous Outflow Component
The HeRO Graft Venous Outflow Component has a 5mm ID, 19F (6.3mm) OD, and is 40cm long. It consists of radiopaque silicone with braided nitinol reinforcement (for kink and crush resistance) and a radiopaque marker band at the distal tip.
- No venous anastomosis
- Reinforced 48 braid nitinol: kink & crush resistant
- Removable and replaceable
- Radiopaque band (at distal tip)
|COMPONENT||DIAMETER (ID)||LENGTH||PRODUCT CODE|
|Venous Outflow Component||5mm||40cm (customizable)||HeRO 1001|
|Arterial Graft Component||6mm (ePTFE), 6-5mm (connector)||53cm (connector: 3cm)||HeRO 1002|
|Accessory Component Kit||N/A||N/A||HeRO 1003|
- Katzman, MD, et al., J Vasc Surg 2009.
- Gage et al., EJVES 2012.
- Dageforde et al., JSR 2012.
- Illig K. Management of Central Vein Stenoses and Occlusions: The Critical Importance of the Costoclavicular Junction. Semin Vasc Surg 24:113-118. 2011.